Sunday, May 8, 2011

MOM'S THE WORD

It's Mothers Day today. Everyone is thanking, remembering their mothers for all that they have done and why not? It's a special day to say thank you for everything you took for granted till you became a parent and realised that there was so much love even in the disciplining!!

Well, i am thankful to my mother for everything she did for me but i'm thankful to her for what she taught me. As i mentioned in my earlier blog, i grew up in a small town. The only social life being the club, the most happening shopping district being a one kilometer stretch in downtown where our lives began and ended if we wanted anything fancy. Well, after so many years not much has changed but what i learnt from my mom has taken me a long way.

Baking is not very popular in India not the way it is elsewhere. For some strange reason (thank God for it) my mother was always into it. As a child more than three decades ago my mother baked and she did everything cakes, biscuits, bread rolls, all of that. Coming to think of it, it was definitely not easy with limited resources available (baking is still a challenge now with so many ingredients not readily available).

She not only baked cakes she iced/ frosted them as well. As a child i always had fancy cakes for my birthday which my mother made and all my friends looked forward to digging into ! So many years ago she has all her baking pans, icing nozzles and what not. Her zest for creativity rubbed on to me and she encouraged me wholeheartedly. The result being that i baked my first cake when i was 13 and by the time i was in high school i could make any shape and ice it.

That i guess was the begining of cakes mamma bakes. Thank you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment