Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What a sweet nightmare !!!



It was about two weeks ago that a dear friend of mine called to say that she would like me to make her daughter’s first birthday cake. Of course I would !! I was anyway planning on one, so when she called, we got down to discussing what her favourite toy was, because, that is usually the theme for the party (till they grow up and have their own bizarre outlandish ideas!!!) Apparantly, this little one found her comfort in Tigger, so Tigger it was but what would poor Tigger do without Pooh? So Pooh had to be there too!!!

We soon decided upon the look of the cake and that was it. Now began my work, which I have to admit, was the most challenging that I have done so far. What I hadn’t realized is that the challenge had not even begun!!! Doing a cake with animals and doing a cartoon character are two different stories all together. I started off with Winnie and when it comes to cartoons, who else but children, are the best judge. So after all my hard work, I turned to my 9 year old son to ask, does it look like Winnie? My son, not wanting to hurt my feelings and yet trying to be his diplomatic best said with a straight face…mamma you have put in a lot of effort but this is a yellow bear not Winnie!! Not Winnie!!! Oh my God!! How on earth do I make him look like Winnie…trash Winnie 1…ok don’t trash him..maybe he can sit pretty in my kitchen. Now with even more determination I start Winnie 2. I have to admit that this was worse than appearing for board exams because if you flunked, then you flunked…it didn’t affect anyone else. Here, if I didn’t get Wiinie right, what would I do? What would happen to the party which now had a Winnie theme thanx to me agreeing to do the cake!!!! Did I hear the word stress???

Well, with my heart in my mouth, I called my son again..now do you think it looks like Winnie….i don’t think I have waited to hear a judgement like this in a long long time…I kept staring at his face, waiting to hear what he thought and I could almost hear my heart thudding…while he was judging. After having a long and good look at it…he turned around and as a matter of fact said…yes it looks like Winnie . I could breathe again…..I had conquered Winnie for now. What I had forgotten was there was Tigger too….!!

There is nothing like pushing boundaries and this is what happened with this cake and I have to say that what made it worth all the effort was the look on everyone’s face when they saw it.

A sweet nightmare indeed!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment